The right classroom design complements the right curriculum and enhances the student experience. We’ve done the research for you and developed a list of must-haves for the modern classroom.
Classroom Furniture Essentials:
- Design for your students – will your classroom serve one age, or several grade levels in the same space? If your room will serve multiple ages (and sizes), consider adjustable desks so the learning environment is comfortable for all students.
- Flexibility – will students be working in teams as part of the curriculum? Will students need to move around the classroom, or will students stay in one place? STEM lab designs need to accommodate both individual and team learning environments.
- Promotes Creativity – Think about the curriculum: will students be collaborating and problem solving? Consider tabletops that are made of whiteboard material to give students a place to jot down their ideas during problem solving sessions. Colors and table shape can also create an atmosphere of creativity.
- Technology – Is your school a 1:1 technology center? Do students need access to power and WiFi? If so, consider adding power to the tables, and designing rooms with adequate power capabilities for technology-infused classrooms.
- Durability – We get it: students can be rough on furniture. You need to make sure the furniture choices will hold up year after year. Interior Concepts understands this and provides a lifetime warranty on all furniture, which comes in especially handy when considering an investment in environment.
- Storage – many classrooms, including STEM classrooms, require storage space for the curriculum materials. When designing classroom furniture, consider storage solutions that will be easy to access, and maximize classroom spaces.
- Cost-Effective – Let’s face it, the furniture choices can’t break the bank. Environment is only one aspect of a classroom. You can’t spend your entire budget on tables and chairs. Furniture needs to be affordable AND functional.
Need ideas? Interior Concepts has put together a Slide Deck of the Top 10 STEM Lab Designs. This presentation includes configuration suggestions and materials appropriate for different room functions.